One Church, One School
Saint Ambrose Episcopal Church and Fuller Magnet Elementary School, Partners in Education Excellence.
One Church, One School (OCOS) is a partnership between Saint Ambrose Church and Fuller Elementary School to support efforts in achieving excellence in education.
If you want to make a powerful difference, volunteer to read to a student. Many of our students have difficulty comprehending and reading.
The goal of One Church, One School (OCOS) is to build bridges between various members of the community and Saint Ambrose. This initiative is simply about “Being” the Church to our neighbors.
According to Public Schools and Religious Communities, a First Amendment Guide published by the First Amendment Center, schools and religious institutions may have different missions, but they share many of the same civic and moral values. Both are located in most neighborhoods. Each is committed within its own role to the wellbeing of children.
One Church, One School (OCOS) began in 2013 as an outreach ministry to our neighborhood school. That year, Saint Ambrose parishioners logged nearly 300 volunteer hours.
- Thanksgiving baskets for 10 families
- Giving Tree/ Angel Tree collecting 44 clothing items for 11 students
- Sponsored five fifth grade students’ Washington, DC field trip for $500
- Painted the cafeteria
- Campus beautification
- Teacher Work Day Youth volunteers helped prepare for incoming students
- Fuller Walk Club
- Athletic Track Team Sponsors
- Staff Appreciation Breakfasts
- Summer Food Pantry
- Youth Mentoring
- Give 5, Read 5 book donations
- Principal Cheryl Fenner preaching for Education Sunday
- Hosted Science Olympiad Awards Recognition
We Safeguard Our Children
In order to ensure the protection the children in our care, all church employees and St Ambrose volunteers are required to complete the Safeguarding God’s Children Training, also known as Safe Church Training, offered online by the Diocese before participating in the OCOS program. For more information, visit the Episcopal Diocese of NC’s Safe Church Training. Also, contact the church office to register for online Safe Church Training.